~ Healthy Snack Bites that taste like cookie dough! Ridiculously good, and so quick and easy! Filled with nuts, flax and oats for sustained energy. Like all our Snack Bites, these freeze really well and are a great make-ahead to keep in the freezer for emergency snack attacks! ~
This Recipe Is: • Ready in 30 Minutes or Less • Freezable • Make Ahead • Vegetarian • Gluten Free •
Healthy Cookie Dough?
You gotta be kidding me! Really? Cookie dough that’s healthy???
When we chose the Quick and Healthy Snack Bites to be our first recipe, we didn’t realize what a major hit they would be – both in our own homes and with lots of our THK readers!
They’re incredibly easy to make, freeze great, and are super portable for ultimate grab-and-go convenience. We especially love that these tasty little nuggets are loaded with whole grains, protein and other goodies that keep your energy levels sky high even when life gets really busy!
We’ve made so many Snack Bites for our families that our poor little fingers are tired and sore! We’re kinda wondering if we should focus our attention on patenting a machine to mass produce these babies. Nah … we’re having too much fun playing in the kitchen!
Honestly, once we all got hooked on this awesome concept – a fantastic alternative to store-bought, pre-packaged snacks – we were just so excited to test more yummy flavor combinations.
These Cookie Dough Snack Bites are another of the top picks among THK taste-testers (who are … ummm … well … of course, our families!).
These remind us a little bit of Derby Pie (and our Kentucky Derby Chocolate-Pecan Cookie Bars), or maybe oatmeal-chocolate chip cookie dough (hence the name!). Either way, they’re delicious enough to be called dessert, but healthy enough to be an energy-rich snack.
When it comes to our taste-testers, these rank right up there with our original Quick and Healthy Snack Bites and our Tropical Snack Bites with Almonds and Chia. Really – our families can’t pick a favorite!
We’d love to know which one you love best, so head for the kitchen to give this new version a try!
How to Make Our Cookie Dough Energy Bites
1) To get started, whir a cup of pecans in a mini food processor (we like to use the smallest, “mini” container in our Ninja processor set) for just a couple of minutes, scraping down the sides once or twice. You want to get your pecans to the consistency and texture of natural peanut butter. You’ll end up with about ½ cup of pecan butter from the 1 cup of pecans.
2) Transfer the pecan butter to a medium-sized bowl and add the oats, flax, honey, brown sugar, vanilla, and sea salt. Give it all a good mix and then add your chocolate chips and the coconut (if you’re using it). One more good mix, and then …
3) You just shape this delicious concoction into one-inch balls. (Or, just grab a spoon and enjoy! We’d be lying if we said we’d never done it!)
Make-Ahead and Freezable!
Like our other Snack Bites, these freeze beautifully, so it’s a great idea to make a double- or triple-batch all at once and stock up for those hectic moments.
Don’t worry if you don’t have time to stand around forming a double- or triple-size batch of tiny balls … just shape as many Snack Bites as you need right at the moment, and then stash the bowl in the fridge until you have some extra time on your hands! (Hint: We usually find that time once the kids are in bed!)
What’s Your Pick?
We weren’t kidding when we said that our families can’t choose a favorite Snack Bite recipe. (We may have to look for better, more decisive taste-testers!) So, we’re throwing this one to you, friends … which of our Snack Bites reigns supreme at your house? Is it our:
- Quick and Healthy Snack Bites (The Originals!)
- Crunchy Granola Snack Bites
- Almond Joy Snack Bites
- Peanut Butter Cup Snack Bites
- Maple-Walnut Oatmeal Snack Bites
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Snack Bites
- Tropical Snack Bites with Almonds and Chia
Hmmmmm … decisions, decisions … We can’t wait to hear your picks!
And, while you’re at it – feel free to chime in with any ideas you have for new, yummy flavors! Just head down to our comments box and weigh in …
- 1 cup pecan halves
- 1 cup quick oats
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed meal
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- a pinch (about 1/16 teaspoon) sea salt
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup coconut, optional
- Place 1 cup pecans in a mini food processor (we like to use the smallest, “mini” container in our Ninja processor set). Process, scraping sides occasionally, until the butter is the consistency of natural peanut butter. You should end up with approximately 1/2 cup of pecan butter.
- Place pecan butter in a medium bowl and add oats, flax, honey, brown sugar, vanilla, and sea salt. Stir to combine.
- Add chocolate chips and coconut (if using). Stir again, just until chips and coconut are evenly distributed.
- Using your hands, press firmly to form one-inch balls.
- Place in air-tight container and refrigerate until serving.
These freeze well, and will thaw in about 20 minutes.
As an Amazon Associates affiliate program member, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 2 balls
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 138Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 22mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 2gSugar: 8gProtein: 2g
Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only, and may vary depending on your choice of ingredients or preparation. No guarantees are made regarding allergies or dietary needs. Always consult a physician or dietician for specific advice and questions.