With Video Tutorial!
~ In just five minutes, these delicious chicken tacos are in the crock-pot and cooking away! Ridiculously easy and sure to become your go-to lifesaver! ~
This Recipe: • Includes Make-Ahead Steps •
We all have that one recipe.
The one that doesn’t even require a peek at the recipe card. The one that’s your standby and always saves the day when you have no idea what’s for dinner. You know what I mean …
True story: When my little ones dash into the house after school, if their first whiff of home is the incredible aromas of this chicken … well, they do that silly fist-pump move where they make a fist and say “YEAH!!!” while pumping an arm up and down. Uh-huh … that really happens … because it’s sooo goooood.
I was sure everyone on the earth had the recipe for my go-to. It was super popular on Pinterest a few years back, and I tell pretty much everybody I talk to about it. So, I just assumed everyone must make this constantly.
I guess not!
I mentioned this recipe to Shelley, and she looked at me like I was loony. She’d never heard of it! (When this happens, I joke that she lives under a rock. She knows so much about so many things, and has tried pretty much every food known to man, so if I come up with something new to her, I do my own little dance. Well, it’s more of me just clicking my heels. Alright fine. I usually just high-five. Myself.)
Ok anyhow …
If Shelley didn’t know anything about this, we realized there must surely be others out there whose lives have a similar gaping hole. But no more … today we’re gonna fix that!
So this recipe. This is the one that I make all. the. time.
Best part? It goes in the crock-pot. Yes, friends. We’re talking a 5-minute prep, and then you just let your slow cooker work its magic. You’ll just need another 5 minutes to finish the dish before you sit down to eat. Serious.
I went back and scoured my Pinterest boards, my pins, my notes – and I can’t figure out who to credit for this awesome recipe. In my research, I saw a reference that Weight Watchers had a recipe like this years ago, so we decided that must have been the genesis of the whole idea. But a google search and a search of the Weight Watchers site didn’t yield a similar recipe we could link to for this. Ah, well … we’re gonna give them the credit, anyway!
In typical THK fashion, we both needed to test this recipe before we shared it with you all.
At first, Shelley was a little skeptical that something so incredibly simple could taste so good. But, she called me before her family was even done eating. They were loving it. Loving it.
I’m so excited her family gave the thumbs-up (possibly with fist pumps, too) – because now I get to share this recipe with you!
Ok. Get your pens and paper, because you’ll want to take very good notes here.
1. Put the chicken in your slow cooker. 2.Cover with taco seasoning. 3. Cover with a jar of salsa. 4. Walk away.
Did you get all that? Should I repeat myself?
Yep. It’s that simple!
I totally think this’ll become your “go-to” recipe. Shelley’s made it multiple times since that first (fist-pumpin’) night. And I just know it’ll soon be your fave, too!
Looking for More Crockpot Chicken Recipes That’ll Make Your Life EASY?
- Top 10 Easy, Healthy Crock-Pot Chicken Recipes
- Top 10 Healthy Crock-Pot Chicken Soups and Chilis
- Crock-Pot Creamy Chicken Corn Chowder
And be sure to read up on the question so commonly asked about slow cooking:
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 1.25-ounce packet low-sodium taco seasoning (see note)
- 1 16-ounce jar of your favorite salsa
- For serving: tortillas or taco shells and your choice of optional toppings, such as shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, shredded cheese, black beans, corn, chopped avocados or guacamole, reduced-fat sour cream, and hot sauce
- Place chicken in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Sprinkle taco seasoning over chicken.
- Pour salsa on top.
- Cook on low (for 6-8 hours) or high (for 4 hours).
- Just before serving, use two forks to shred the chicken.
- Stir to evenly distribute salsa throughout chicken.
- Serve immediately with desired toppings.
We recommend avoiding taco seasoning mixes that contain MSG. Also, there are differences in the amounts of sodium (and other ingredients) in various brands, so it's a good idea to read the nutrition information for the brands offered at your store.