~ Love Almond Joy candy bars? Then you’ve gotta try these quick no-bake Snack Bites! They’re full of protein, complex carbs and great nutrition from nuts, flax and oats. We’re talking sustained energy – no sugar crashes here! Easy, freezable, nutritious … and incredibly delicious, too! ~
This Recipe Is: • Ready in 30 Minutes or Less • Freezable • Make Ahead • Vegetarian • Gluten Free •
Are you ready for Halloween? No, no – we’re not talking decorations and costumes. We mean the candy!
Soooo … what did ya buy this year? All the kinds you like most, just hoping there’ll be leftovers after the goblins and princesses have rummaged through your candy bowl? Or did you buy your least favorites so you’re not tempted to have JUST ONE? (Heehee – we’d be impressed – that’s very virtuous!)
And fess up … do you go through the kids’ Halloween bags as soon as they get home? Or do you wait until they go to bed to do the big raid?
Shelley always hunts for the Baby Ruths and Snickers, but Gretchen sorts through to get to the Laffy Taffy and Skittles! (Don’t you totally think we should trick-or-treat together??? We’d happily split the loot!) Oh, and don’t even get us started on those Almond Joys!
But, how do you really feel after you
shove all that candy nibble on your kiddos’ stash? Entirely fulfilled? Pleasantly surprised? No?? Is it more of a horrible guilt in the pit of your stomach? (Ummm … it may not be the guilt in your stomach. It may be all that sugar – just sayin’!!)
So what are you gonna do this Halloween? You’re gonna rely on us – your friends at THK!
All of our Snack Bites are so yummy and crazy-popular (check out all the delicious flavors!), and we’re here to swoop in and save Halloween with another Snack Bite version that’ll satisfy your candy craving. Almond Joy Snack Bites! Perfect!
No sense of guilt here – just pure satisfaction! Full of protein, whole-grain oats and flax. You can nosh on something sweet and totally delicious without that awful (AW-FUL!) sugar crash that comes with candy.
Our kids are even happy to munch on these right along with us. And, they’d be the perfect treat to take along to a neighborhood Halloween party. Heck – these gems are perfect anytime – not just this spook-tacular time of year!
With trick-or-treat just around the corner, why not whip up a batch to keep on hand? There’ll be no moments of weakness if you’ve got a stock of these amazing little morsels to save the day. Trust us! No tricks here … only (the best ever) treats!
- 1 cup whole, sliced or slivered almonds (to make 1/2 cup almond butter once processed) or 1/2 cup purchased almond butter
- 3/4 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup quick oats
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed meal
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/16 teaspoon salt
- 2 – 2 1/2 tablespoons mini chocolate chips
- To make almond butter, place 1 cup of almonds in a mini food processor. Process, scraping sides occasionally, until the butter is the consistency of natural peanut butter. (The exact timing for this will vary depending on your processor and on whether you begin with whole, sliced or slivered almonds.) You should end up with approximately 1/2 cup of almond butter.
- Place almond butter in a medium bowl and add all other ingredients except chocolate chips.
- Stir to combine.
- Add chocolate chips to mixture and stir again, just until combined.
- Using your hands, press FIRMLY to form one-inch balls.
- Place in air-tight container and refrigerate until serving.
Freezing: These freeze great (so you may want to make a triple batch, like we often do!), and they will thaw in about 20 minutes.
Almonds: Sliced or slivered almonds process much more quickly than whole almonds. We've also found that whole, dry roasted almonds process more quickly than whole, raw almonds. Use whichever you have on hand or find at a good price.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 servings Serving Size: 2 Snack Bites
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 153Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 92mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 3gSugar: 9gProtein: 4g
Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only, and may vary depending on your choice of ingredients or preparation. No guarantees are made regarding allergies or dietary needs. Always consult a physician or dietician for specific advice and questions.