This Recipe Is: • Ready in 30 Minutes or Less • Make Ahead • Vegan (and Vegetarian) • Gluten Free •
This super-fast dip is a delicious identity crisis. Traditional hummus meets a crazy Mexican party (there might even be a Mariachi band … you just never can tell!).
It’s creamy and satisfying, yet kicky and fun … an all-around crowd pleaser! (Oh … and loaded with healthy goodies, too!)
And you know what it got me thinking? Football food!
That’s what we need right now … dips and snackies for the Super Bowl! This dip is spot-on perfect for touchdown-cheering, fumble-booing, I-just-wanna-watch-the-cool-Super-Bowl-commercials … football action!
You can whip it up in a flash. (But come, on … you knew that, right?!? This is THK, after all! Of course it’s quick and easy!)
Really – if the halftime show’s no good this year, you can hop right up and make this quick-quick before the third quarter! (Although, with Bruno Mars and the Red Hot Chili Peppers – we should be golden, right? So, you may want to make a double batch before the game …)
And then you know what you wanna do? Tuck this recipe away for Cinco de Mayo … and for summer parties … and for late-night noshes …. and …
Yeah, you’re going to want to do that.
And seriously, it really is great summer chow, too.
I actually concocted this waaaaaay back last summer, on a gorgeously hot and sunny day. My parents had the kiddos and my Romeo and I had the day to ourselves. We ditched any notion of doing responsible things like launching major home projects or cleaning out the garage … and we chilled. Just chilled.
But, for proper chillin’ with your guy, you (of course!) need good munchies … and so this hummus was born. (And … I guess we were really hungry, because that’s the exact same day I created Italian Cannellini Hummus with Basil and Sun-Dried Tomatoes!)
Hmmmmm … no wonder this hummus has such an identity crisis! It’s perfect for practically any occasion – just as comfy at a Super Bowl party as it is at a summer beach party.
Let us know if the Mariachi band appears, too!
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained (see note)
- 1/3 cup loosely packed cilantro
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons hot sauce (such as Frank's Red Hot)
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 16 grape or cherry tomatoes, roughly quartered
- Minced cilantro and a few diced tomatoes, for garnish
- Veggies such as baby carrots and pepper strips, or baked tortilla or pita chips – for serving, if desired
- Place all ingredients except tomatoes in a mini food processor and process until smooth (or desired consistency), scraping down the sides as needed.
- Add tomatoes and pulse processor just enough to incorporate tomatoes and chop them slightly.
- Garnish with additional cilantro and tomatoes, and serve immediately (with veggies or chips), or refrigerate until serving.
In our stores, we find black beans sold in both 15-ounce and 15.5-ounce cans. Either will work just fine.
This can easily be made a day or two ahead. Simply store finished hummus in the refrigerator until serving.
When this hummus is just finished processing, it will be a lighter color than what you see in our photos. It tends to darken a bit upon standing.