~ Just 3 (hauntingly delicious) ingredients! A quick, easy, healthy fruit dip that’s absolutely perfect for Halloween parties and fall’s after-school snacks! So cute that it’s both a delicious appetizer dip AND a party decoration! Plus, we’ve got fun ideas for spook-tacular fruit to serve alongside! ~
This Recipe Is: • Ready in 30 Minutes or Less • Make Ahead • Vegetarian • Gluten Free •
I have no idea exactly how this idea came to me.
Gretchen and I were on the phone. (Well, let’s be honest here … most hours of most days, Gretchen and I are on the phone … or texting … or emailing … or thinking about talking, texting and emailing … but that’s entirely beside the point!)
We were brainstorming ideas for new fall recipes, and I suddenly pictured a yummy white fruit dip, spread artfully on a serving platter in the shape of a spooky Halloween ghost! How fun would that be!?!? And it could be surrounded by Halloween-colored fruits and cute fruit cut-outs. So easy and absolutely darling!
Maybe we could start with our Healthy Sugared-Vanilla Yogurt Fruit Dip (it’s one of the most crazy-popular recipes we’ve ever posted) … and go from there.
Good in theory …
Ha! Turns out, it’s
good awesome in reality, too!
I have to be very up front here, and admit that this was much easier, much more successful than Gretchen and I had ever imagined. It seriously worked perfectly on the very first go … and on the second …
It worked like a charm! A very quick, very easy, very yummy charm.
Just the way we like it here at THK!
You might remember my story of the day my daughter and I had ourselves a little Halloween party in the kitchen and whipped up all sorts of crazy-creative, monstrously cute Halloween foods. That’s the day I tried my hand at Apple Mummies and Frankenstein Kiwis. It’s also when I started playing around with this Ghostly Fruit Dip.
I thought it might take a lot of tinkering to get a ghosty who was the right consistency and tasted great. Nope! The kitchen gods were smiling on me that day (well, probably laughing at me … but whatever!). My concoction was spook-tacular-ly perfect on the first try! Geez … I love when that happens!
This is beyond-easy! I’m talking three ingredients (plus chocolate chip eyeballs!) and maybe two minutes, start to finish, to make this dip. (And I’ve generously factored in enough time for a leisurely cup of coffee, in addition to the time it’ll take you to stir three ingredients together).
A quick wave of your
magic wand rubber scraper to artfully spread your dip into a ghosty shape (again … not hard, especially since a ghost can be pretty much any sorta-roundish shape), and voilà!
So … fruit for dipping? You’ve got options. Lots of ’em actually.
- First, you can forego the fruit and just lick your ghosty right off the platter when no one’s looking. (It’s that good, and we’re not here to judge.)
- If you wanna be just a little more couth and share your ghosty dip with others, you can simply surround your creation with piles of gorgeous fresh fruit. Whatever looks good at the market! That’s definitely the quickest, easiest option for a last-minute Halloween party tray that’ll take just minutes to make but will still knock their socks off!
- To really make your fruit tray feel Halloween-y, though, we definitely recommend choosing fruits in black, orange, white and green. Think of green or black grapes, orange cantaloupe and clementines, green/white honeydew, and green kiwi. White bananas are also a good thought, but because they turn brown rather quickly, you’ll want to wait to slice those up right before serving.
- To take those Halloween-colored fruits to the next festive level, simply thread some of them on skewers! We’ve got a whole tutorial on how to make awesome fruit skewers and fruit kabobs that’ll set you up perfectly!
- And, if you’re feeling really creative (and gunning to be the headliner at the Halloween bash), you can use Halloween cookie cutters to make cut-outs from the honeydew and cantaloupe! (Again, for some key tips on that, check out our post on fruit kabobs – we’ve got hints on cut-outs, too!)
No matter how you serve it, we can pretty much guarantee that this ghost will disappear before your very eyes!
This darling ghosty is the last recipe in our series of super-easy, healthy Halloween snacks. Be sure to check out all our other Halloween posts for lots more ideas! Our 17 Spook-tacular, Healthy Halloween Treats, Snacks and Beverages features some of the cutest Halloween ideas we’ve seen! And, you definitely have to try our Apple Mummies, Allergy-Friendly Apple Monsters, Spooky Spider Veggie Dip, and Frankenstein Kiwis! Plus, for even more inspiration, there’s our Healthy Halloween board on Pinterest!
Hope this is your very best, most delicious (and healthiest!) Halloween yet!
- 1 cup nonfat vanilla Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar (see note)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons honey
- 3 chocolate chips, for garnish (as the ghost’s face)
- Assorted fruit, for serving (see note)
- Mix yogurt, brown sugar, and honey together in a medium bowl.
- Using a flexible rubber scraper, spread the yogurt dip onto a serving platter in the shape of a ghost. (Don’t worry about being too precise – ghosts come in all sorts of amorphous, blobular shapes!)
- Place the chocolate chips, pointy end down, into the dip, positioned as “eyes” and a “mouth.”
- Serve with assorted fruit.