Posted by https://twohealthykitchens.com/chicken-apple-sausage-breakfast-burritos-freezable-make-ahead/
© 2016 Two Healthy Kitchens. All rights reserved.
Chicken-Apple Sausage Breakfast Burritos (Freezable Make-Ahead!)
- 2 fully precooked sweet chicken-apple sausage links (about 3 ounces each)
- 1 cup frozen, cubed butternut squash (about 5 ounces of squash) (see note)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped sweet onion (about 1/4 of a large onion)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red pepper
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 Flatout flatbreads (we used Soft 100% Whole Wheat and Light Original)
- 1 cup shredded, reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- Cut the sausages into ¼"-thick rounds, and then cut the rounds into quarters. You should have about 1 cup of sausage pieces.
- The squash should be in roughly ½" cubes. If the brand you buy has larger chunks, allow the squash to thaw just enough so that you can cut it, and then cut it into ½" cubes.
- Coat a large, nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Over medium heat, cook sausage, butternut squash, onion, and red pepper until onion is beginning to soften, and the sausage and squash are beginning to brown a little (about 7-8 minutes), stirring occasionally.
- Add eggs to skillet and sprinkle with sage, salt, and black pepper. Continue cooking, stirring to scramble eggs, until eggs are done.
- Lay 1 Flatout flatbread on work surface, and sprinkle ¼ cup of cheese down the center, leaving a large border all around the cheese. Spread ¼ of the sausage mixture (about a heaping ¾ cup) on top of the cheese.
- Fold short ends of flatbread inward toward middle, and then fold long sides of flatbread inward toward middle, making a tightly closed burrito.
- Repeat with the remaining 3 flatbreads, dividing the remaining cheese and the remaining sausage mixture evenly among them.
- Preheat a dry nonstick skillet over medium heat. (We simply wash out the same skillet we used for cooking the sausage mixture). Once the skillet is preheated, add the burritos and cook on the first side until golden brown, about 1 ½ - 2 minutes. Flip burritos and cook on second side until golden, about another 1½ minutes.
- Serve immediately (or see freezing instructions in notes).
Cubed butternut squash: For this recipe, we specify frozen, cubed butternut squash for a couple of reasons. First, it's a big time-saver over peeling and prepping your own squash. But most importantly, purchasing it frozen allows you to use exactly the amount you need for this recipe, each time you make it, returning the unused portion to the freezer so there's no squash leftover that may go to waste. If you prefer to use fresh squash, we recommend adding it to the skillet first, and cooking it until partway softened (about 3-7 minutes), before adding the sausage, onion, and red pepper, and then continuing with the recipe as written.
Freezing your breakfast burritos: To freeze the breakfast burritos, first allow them to cool completely. Then, you can either leave each one whole or choose to cut them into halves. (We sometimes like to grab just a half burrito from the freezer as a snack or mini meal.) Wrap each tightly in plastic wrap and place them in a zippered freezer bag. They should keep well in the freezer for a couple of months. To reheat from frozen: For an entire breakfast burrito, our microwave needs about 5 minutes on 50% power.