~ These adorable Apple Mummies are such an easy, healthy Halloween treat! Your little ghosties will gobble them up! A perfect fruit snack for Halloween parties, spook-tacular fruit trays, or a fun October after-school nibble! ~
This Recipe Is: • Ready in 30 Minutes or Less • Vegetarian (and Vegan Option) • Gluten Free • Paleo Option •
The other day, my son was at the kitchen sink, peeling apples for a recipe he was making (we’ll talk about that later, wink wink). I was sitting at the breakfast bar, trying hard to seem as though I wasn’t watching over him (although … ahem … I might have been watching just a little).
As he worked, the strips of brightly colored apple peel fell into the sink.
“You know, this kinda looks like …” he suddenly said.
And actually, I did know! I knew exactly what he was thinking, before he’d even finished his sentence!
The apple he was peeling (in the messy, haphazard way only a 12-year-old boy could possibly manage to peel an apple) looked kinda like … a mummy!
It was so obvious!
“You should …” he began again.
But I was right there with him! Yes, I should! I should totally share this idea on THK!
So that’s what I’m doing!
When I tried this little project myself a couple of days later, I wanted to be sure that it really was easy … and that someone who is completely lacking in art skills (notice that I am not mentioning my own name here!) could actually use a veggie peeler to make an apple look like a mummy.
The very first Apple Mummy I tried to make was adorable … and so was the second! I texted Gretchen a picture, and she was thrilled with how cute they were, and absolutely agreed these Apple Mummies would be just perfect for THK! (Score! I guess we hit the “Easy Button” on this one!)
This definitely is THK-easy! If I can do it (on my first try!), you for sure can, too!
And just imagine how excited your kids will be when these spook-tacular mummies show up as their after-school snack this Halloween season! Or on a fruit tray for the Halloween party! Or as the healthy treat at an October playgroup! Or …
Ok, I think you get the picture! They’re cute no matter what you do with them! And so nutritious, too!
A couple little hints before you get started making mummies faster than an ancient Egyptian:
- Some apples turn brown (due to oxidation) much more quickly than others after they’ve been peeled. Sure, there are various tricks (soaking in an acidic liquid like water with lemon juice, etc.) to keep apples looking fresh longer, but we’re generally in too much of a hurry for that! We just recommend that if you’re going to use these Apple Mummies to decorate a fruit tray or as a snack at a party, choose apples that don’t turn brown quite as quickly. Granny Smiths, for example, generally start to brown almost immediately, while Pink Ladies and Honeycrisps can sit out for hours and still look pretty fresh.
- We love serving our Apple Mummies with a healthy fruit dip! Try noshing on mummies with our Healthy Sugared-Vanilla Yogurt Fruit Dip and our Peanut Butter Silk Pie Dip with Greek Yogurt. Both dips require only four super-common ingredients and take about five minutes (tops!) to whip up … but they’ll make you look like mom of the year when served with your perfectly sculpted mummies!
Want more really great inspiration for a healthier Halloween? You’ve gotta check out our surprisingly easy, monstrously cute Franken-kiwis, our super-simple Ghostly Halloween Fruit Dip, our totally non-scary Apple Monsters, our ghoulishly clever Spooky Spider Halloween Appetizer Dip, and our festive Halloween Fruit Kabobs. And if all that just isn’t enough of a creative jump-start, take a peek at our collections of 31 Halloween Fruit Recipes and also 17 Spook-tacular, Healthy Halloween Treats, Snacks and Beverages …
… plus our Healthy Halloween Recipes board on Pinterest! Terrifyingly terrific, no doubt!
Oh – and one more thing. About that recipe my son was making with his peeled apples at the beginning of this post? Mmmmhmmm … stay tuned … ’cause it’s a really good one that even a kid can make! 😀
Apple Mummies – A Healthy Halloween Treat!
These adorable Apple Mummies are so easy, and a really healthy Halloween treat! A perfect fruit snack for parties, fruit trays, or an everyday treat!
• Ready in 30 Minutes or Less • Vegetarian (and Vegan Option) • Gluten Free • Paleo Option •
- 1 apple
- 4 mini chocolate chips or dried blueberries
- Cut apple in half vertically and carefully remove the core.
- Starting at one edge, use a vegetable peeler to remove haphazard strips of apple peel.
- Lay each apple half on a plate or serving tray and press two eyes into the apple in an area where the peel has been removed. If you're using mini chocolate chips, push the pointy end in first. If you're using dried blueberries, it may help to use a paring knife to make a tiny divot in the apple where you want each eye to go, and then gently press the blueberry eyes in.
Apple varieties: Some apples (such as Granny Smith) tend to turn brown more quickly than others after they've been cut. If you need your apples to look fresh for a while (on a fruit tray for a Halloween party, for example), you may want to choose apples that don't turn brown quite as quickly (such as Pink Ladies and Honeycrisps).
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 mummies Serving Size: 1 mummy
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 52Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 1mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 2gSugar: 10gProtein: 0g
Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only, and may vary depending on your choice of ingredients or preparation. No guarantees are made regarding allergies or dietary needs. Always consult a physician or dietician for specific advice and questions.
40 thoughts on “Apple Mummies – A Healthy Halloween Treat!”
I’m the Editorial Assistant for Fun Family Crafts and I wanted to let you know that we have featured your Apple Mummies! You can see them here:
We’d love for you to submit any other kid-friendly craft tutorials you have. Thanks for another awesome project idea!
I just picked up 6 bushels of apples from my parents…I can’t wait to show these to the kids!
6 bushels?!?! Wow! That’ll make a lot of mummies … and applesauce, and apple pie, and apple bread, and … 😀 How wonderful to have so many apples to create new recipes! I hope you and your kiddos have as much fun making (and eating!) these mummies as we did! ~ Shelley
Love this idea! It’s so simple but kids will love it!!
So simply and so fun! I love the idea.
Thank you, Angie! These are the perfect snack to make just as the kids are coming home from school! It’s a perfectly healthy snack, comes together in a flash, and the kids LOVE them! It’s a win!! ~G&S
I really love these and what a great idea! Who wouldn’t want to eat one of these – I know I would!
Thanks, Christine! We’re gonna put one of these little beauties in the mail for ya! 🙂 Lol! Our kids think these are just the cutest – and we love that they are snacking on a super nutritious treat! Have a great weekend!! ~G&S