This Recipe Is: • Ready in 30 Minutes or Less •
A few weeks ago, my whole family came rushing into the house at dinnertime after a wonderfully busy, really fun day together. We were all ravenous. But the mom in this story didn’t have an idea in her head about what to make for dinner (uhhhh … yeah … that would be me …).
But did I panic? No way!
You see, I have a superhero mommy cape, complete with a secret, lifesaving weapon (a ridiculously well-stocked pantry!).
That’s exactly how this lightning-fast dinner was created.
I quickly rummaged in the freezer … Yay – yummy ravioli!
The fridge … Score – sausage and parm!
Then I grabbed for whatever produce I happened to have … peppers left over from photographing our Rainbow Pepper Salsa, an onion (I’ve always got one of those hanging around), and some lovely little tomatoes that were sitting on my counter.
Seriously – in the time it took my family to clear the table of all the homework, half-finished art projects and miscellaneous small toys, I had dinner on the table.
And it was a ginormous hit! Soooooo delicious! As in … I’ve-made-it-at-least-three-more-times-in-the-last-few-weeks-because-we-love-it-that-much … delicious!
The onions are meltingly sweet, the peppers are seared but still just a little crunchy, and the sausage is perfectly browned. To top it off, there’s the refreshing, juicy acidity of the tomatoes and the salty kick of the parmesan.
It’s crazy-good for something so quick and simple. Ahhhh … that’s the magic of the mommy cape.
You want a superhero mommy cape, too? No problem! You’ve come to the right place. (Oh … and we also specialize in daddy capes, wife capes and best-boyfriend-ever-to-make-this-amazing-dinner capes …)
Just keep this dinner in your back pocket, even if you’re not sure which night of the week you’ll end up serving it. The ravioli and sausage will wait for you for days or even weeks. And the produce, although fresh, is all stuff that you can find in most grocery stores year-round and that will easily keep for several days or more. Those peppers are gonna be just as yummy on Friday or Saturday as they would have been back on Monday, right!?!? (Ka-pow! Secret-weapon, well-stocked pantry!)
Wanna get dinner on the table even faster? You can chop the peppers, onions and sausage earlier in the day or even the night before and store them in separate containers in the fridge.
Then … Shazam! In about 20 minutes, dinner is done and you’re lookin’ like a superhero!
- 1 medium red pepper
- 1 medium green pepper
- 1 medium yellow pepper
- 2 small-medium red onions
- 12 ounces precooked Italian-style chicken sausage (we used Johnsonville 3-cheese sausages with cheese, red bell peppers and garlic)
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 24 ounces frozen small round cheese ravioli (we used Rosetto)
- 1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Give your peppers and onions a quick, rough chop so they’re in large, bite-size pieces similar to the size you’d use for shish kabobs. You should have about 3 3/4 – 4 cups of peppers and about 4 cups of onions. Cut the sausages into 1/2-inch rounds.
- Preheat a large skillet on medium-high heat. Add 1 teaspoon olive oil and swirl to coat pan. Add peppers, onions and sliced sausage. Cook for about 10-15 minutes, stirring only occasionally, until peppers and onions are tender and the vegetables and sausage have developed some seared spots.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook ravioli as directed on package (about five minutes). Drain.
- While the pepper mixture and pasta are cooking, cut the tomatoes in half lengthwise (to equal about 1 1/2 – 2 cups).
- Remove pepper mixture from heat. Add tomatoes and stir to combine so they get warmed through but aren’t mushy.
- At this point, you can transfer the pepper mixture to a large serving bowl, or simply leave it in the skillet and finish the recipe right in the pan.
- Add drained ravioli, parmesan, remaining olive oil, salt, and black pepper, and stir to combine.
- Serve immediately.