~ These freezable Breakfast Burritos are a grab-and-go, make-ahead breakfast you’ll actually look forward to eating! Full of sweet chicken-apple sausage and butternut squash, savory cheese and red peppers, and fluffy scrambled egg, these breakfast burritos are crazy-delicious, hearty, and filled with great, keep-you-fueled-up nutrition! ~
This Recipe Is: • Ready in 30 Minutes or Less • Freezable • Make Ahead •
* (Our little disclaimer …) We partnered with Flatout for this sponsored post, as part of their #FlatoutIsMyCanvas campaign, but all opinions are entirely our own. Thanks for supporting brands that support Two Healthy Kitchens and our mission of healthy eating! *
I’m always lured in by the idea of frozen breakfast burritos. So promising …
It’s a truly brilliant concept that I can totally get behind … the possibility of having a delicious, nourishing breakfast waiting to be reheated on even the busiest mornings! Hurray!
Except that … whenever I get all hopeful at the grocery store and buy some of those organic breakfast burritos from the freezer section, my hopes are almost always crushed in the end.
Despite the scrumptious names (reeeeeling me in … ‘cuz surely they’ll be delicious with names like those …), well, they’re just never really all that good. Convenient … yes. Quick … yes. Scrumptious … not so much. I think they might be distantly related to cardboard. Meh.
But there are lots of mornings (and lunchtimes … and mid-afternoon snack times …) when I really, really need all that grab-and-go convenience. I just wish it could come in the form of something I actually want to eat!
These Chicken-Apple Sausage Breakfast Burritos are my answer!
I’m a bit obsessed with them, honestly. As in, I dread the day when I find myself without one of these waiting for me, tucked safely in my freezer.
Every time I eat one, I think all over again, “Oh my gosh! These are so good!”
Instead of saving them for drastic, busy-morning emergencies (when chewing those cardboard-like burritos from the grocery store would suffice), I actually look forward to these!
Mmmmmmm … just a bit of sweetness from the chicken-apple sausage and butternut squash, plus savory notes of sage, red peppers, onions and cheddar. All combined with some scrambled egg (because, you know … breakfast) and wrapped in a seared, toasty Flatout flatbread. Big, satisfying flavors!
And all those delicious ingredients are filled with terrific, fuel-you-up nutrition, too! Great protein and fiber to keep you going strong for hours.
And hey – you’ve got three different veggies packed in there! Pat yourself on the back, my busy friend … it’s only breakfast time, and you’ve already worked three veggies into your day! Chalk that up as a nutrition win!
Yep … these are the perfect way to start a busy day!
Or, ahem … give you a little lift mid-afternoon. Sure – these are called “Breakfast Burritos,” but I’m gonna be straight up with you: I can 100% vouch for the fact that they make a great snack, lunch, or dinner, too. (Told ya I’m obsessed!)
I can also vouch for the fact that they’re really portable. Because, yes … more often than not, I’m scarfing one down in the car. ‘Tis the way of the carpool mom.
Portable, grab-and-go breakfast burritos that you can stockpile in your freezer … and that you’ll actually want to eat! Huh … who knew such a thing existed?!?!
Because even busy-morning food shouldn’t have to taste like it’s got cardboard as a distant cousin!
More Easy Grab-and-Go Breakfast Recipes for Busy Mornings …
- 10-Minute, No-Cook Overnight Oats with Apples, Cranberries and Cinnamon
- Healthy Double Chocolate Muffins with Fresh Strawberries
- Farmers’ Market Overnight Breakfast Egg Casserole (with instructions for freezing and for making leftovers into grab-n-go breakfast wraps)
- 2 fully precooked sweet chicken-apple sausage links (about 3 ounces each)
- 1 cup frozen, cubed butternut squash (about 5 ounces of squash) (see note)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped sweet onion (about 1/4 of a large onion)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red pepper
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 Flatout flatbreads (we used Soft 100% Whole Wheat and Light Original)
- 1 cup shredded, reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- Cut the sausages into 1/4″-thick rounds, and then cut the rounds into quarters. You should have about 1 cup of sausage pieces.
- The squash should be in roughly 1/2″ cubes. If the brand you buy has larger chunks, allow the squash to thaw just enough so that you can cut it, and then cut it into 1/2″ cubes.
- Coat a large, nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Over medium heat, cook sausage, butternut squash, onion, and red pepper until onion is beginning to soften, and the sausage and squash are beginning to brown a little (about 7-8 minutes), stirring occasionally.
- Add eggs to skillet and sprinkle with sage, salt, and black pepper. Continue cooking, stirring to scramble eggs, until eggs are done.
- Lay 1 Flatout flatbread on work surface, and sprinkle ¼ cup of cheese down the center, leaving a large border all around the cheese. Spread ¼ of the sausage mixture (about a heaping 3/4 cup) on top of the cheese.
- Fold short ends of flatbread inward toward middle, and then fold long sides of flatbread inward toward middle, making a tightly closed burrito.
- Repeat with the remaining 3 flatbreads, dividing the remaining cheese and the remaining sausage mixture evenly among them.
- Preheat a dry nonstick skillet over medium heat. (We simply wash out the same skillet we used for cooking the sausage mixture). Once the skillet is preheated, add the burritos and cook on the first side until golden brown, about 1 ½ – 2 minutes. Flip burritos and cook on second side until golden, about another 1½ minutes.
- Serve immediately (or see freezing instructions in notes).