Posted by https://twohealthykitchens.com/crock-pot-chicken-tortilla-soup/
© 2014 Two Healthy Kitchens. All rights reserved.
Crock-Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 1.25-ounce packet low-sodium taco seasoning (see note)
- 1 16-ounce jar of your favorite salsa
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 15-ounce can black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1 12-ounce bag frozen corn kernels
- 1 10-ounce can diced tomatoes and green chilies (such as Ro-Tel)
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 corn tortillas, cut into 2-inch strips
- For serving: your choice of optional toppings such as shredded cheese, green onions, chopped avocados, reduced-fat sour cream, and chopped cilantro
- Place chicken in slow cooker. Sprinkle with taco seasoning and then pour salsa on top.
- Add chicken broth, water, black beans, corn, tomatoes with chilies, quinoa, tomato paste, cumin, and salt.
- Stir to incorporate tomato paste.
- Cook on high for 5-6 hours, or on low for 7-8 hours.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker and shred with two forks.
- Stir shredded chicken back into soup, as well as tortilla strips.
- Serve with shredded cheese, green onions, avocados, reduced-fat sour cream, cilantro, or other additional toppings, if desired.
We recommend avoiding taco seasoning mixes that contain MSG. Also, there are differences in the amounts of sodium (and other ingredients) in various brands, so it’s a good idea to read the nutrition information for the brands offered at your store.