~ This fun waffle sundae bar is a dessert idea you can feel good about serving! But it’s also a fantastic sleepover breakfast idea, the perfect solution for a make-your-own holiday brunch bar, and (surprise!) a kid-favorite brinner (breakfast-for-dinner!) option. So easy, and great for using up whatever’s in the fridge! ~
Hurry, hurry! Step right up, friends! Today we’ve got three (that’s right, three … THREE!) great meal solutions … all for the price of one!
Do you have a busy family who likes happy kiddos and nutritious options at mealtime? Of course you do! That’s why you’ve come to THK!
And today we’ve got THREE ideas to share! The big tri-fecta! The three amigos! The triple crown!
By now, you’ve kinda got the point, right??
But really – we’re dead serious! These waffle sundaes are an idea that’s totally kid-pleasin’ practically any time of day!
They’re so no-brainer easy. Almost infinitely adaptable based on whatever your family likes and whatever you happen to have in the pantry. Such a slam-dunk lifesaver, time after time in our homes – so we finally decided we just had to share the idea (errrr … ideas, since, as you know by now – there are actually THREE ideas here! 😀 )
So let’s go!
Oh, yeah! Brinner (that’s Breakfast for Dinner, ya know!) is pure magic. Well, at least to kids. It’s like backwards day in Dr. Seuss-land. A license to be a little silly!
How fun, right?!?
Ok, full confession … it’s even fun for parents!
What’s awesome is that, even though these “brinner” waffle sundaes are super fun and win cheers from our kiddos every time we make them, they’re also a really nutritious, filling dinner! They’re jam-packed with whole grains, fiber, loads of fruit, and great protein options like peanut butter and Greek yogurt!
For some reason, we both seem to make “brinner” waffle sundaes when our hubbies are out of town. Why? We have no idea, since our guys love brinner, too. But somehow these are just the perfect punt on busy nights when daddy’s traveling and we’re lookin’ to liven things up a bit. They’re such a great clean-out-the-fridge meal that easily adjusts to whatever fruits and toppings you have on hand (so no need to run to the store for this recipe!).
They’re perfect year-round, too! Cozy, homey comfort food in the winter, but also light and refreshing, loaded with gorgeous farmers’ market fruit in the summer.
Waffle sundaes for dinner??? Oh, yeah! Do it! You’ll never look back!
2) Brunch Bars (Especially for Holidays and Sleepovers)
Now that it’s summertime, slumber party season is in full swing. And it seems like the #1 most requested sleepover breakfast treat is donuts. (Mommy face-palm. Why, oh, why does it require donuts and the resulting sugar crash to cap off a perfect sleepover?)
Voilà! Now you won’t need donuts to have happy, happy kids! Remember when we mentioned how our Strawberries and Cream Pancake Topping could turn you into Sleepover Mommy Extraordinaire (with absolutely no donuts required)? Well, these waffle sundaes have that same super power. (And trust us, if you use that Pancake Topping on these sundaes … you’ll be totally blowing it out of the water!)
Kids love making their own sundaes, choosing just what they want and like! It’s such fun! Bonus: just like our Healthy Yogurt Parfait Party Snacks, these waffle sundaes kinda double as an activity to keep them busy for a little while – so perfect for you, the sleep-deprived mom who was up half the night shushing them to go to sleep!
And think beyond slumber parties to the big-family-brunch possibilities! These waffle sundaes are also a practically effortless way to lay out a gorgeous brunch spread for family gatherings and holiday brunches. All you have to do is fire up the waffle iron, and then enjoy looking like the perfect hostess, while kicking back and letting people make their own breakfast! Brilliant!
We’ve even recommended this to a friend for her bridal shower brunch – she loved the idea!
And quiet family weekend breakfasts? This is as good as it gets. A fun project the whole family can help you set out, and then enjoy making up new combos together – interactive and delicious, too!
Obviously, right … since “sundae” is in the recipe name?
Do your kiddos beg you for all those decadent waffle cones and waffle sundaes and funnel cake sundaes you see all summer long at every ice cream shop, street fair and amusement park? Pretty much by definition, kids love those! (And, pretty much by definition, any health-minded mom cringes at the thought!)
Well, here’s a great way to spin those naughty indulgences into a much more virtuous, but totally satisfying, treat your kids (and … ahem … you, too!) can enjoy much more often, all summer long!
You can even go a little crazy here (’cause, even us health-minded moms have to cut loose once in a while)! If we’re talking dessert, you might offer a reduced-fat, all-natural ice cream or frozen yogurt as a topper, and maybe splurge on some extra chocolate chips. And we’re not gonna tell on you if you even set out some crushed cookie crumbs or pretty jimmies! You’ve still got that funnel cake beat by a mile!
See … totally terrific trifecta! Waffle sundaes are the way to go … any time, any day!
Here Are Some More Great (Healthy!) Waffle Recipes to Try with Your Waffle Sundaes …
- Chocolate Zucchini Bread Waffles from Consuelo at Honey & Figs
- Apple Cinnamon Blender Waffles from Lindsay at The Lean Green Bean
- Vegan Whole Wheat Waffles from Vanessa at Vegan Family Recipes
- Whole Wheat Blueberry Waffles from Selena at The Nutritious Kitchen
- Super Power Waffles from Lindsay at Vegan Yumminess
Get a Free Slow Cooker Ebook!
When you sign up to receive our newsletter, we’ll send you a free ebook, filled with easy, healthy slow cooker recipes from top bloggers across the country! Just enter your email in the box at the upper right corner of our page! And to make sure you don’t miss a single deliciously healthy moment … you can like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, and check out our awesome recipe boards on Pinterest!
We’d Love to Hear From You!
We really value your feedback and love to answer your questions and hear how our recipes worked for you! Just head on down to the comment box located at the very bottom of this post. Email addresses are never published, and last names are optional. We can’t wait to hear from you!
- Any whole grain or whole wheat waffle batter, such as our own Mom’s Best Whole Wheat Waffles
- Natural peanut butter, almond butter, or other nut butters
- 100% fruit jelly or jam (use your favorite flavors)
- Reduced-fat cream cheese
- Nonfat Greek yogurt (vanilla, strawberry, or your favorite flavor)
- Reduced-fat ice cream or frozen yogurt (for dessert waffles)
- Fresh fruit such as: bananas, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, peaches or nectarines, cherries, and kiwi
- Dried fruit such as: raisins, chopped dates, pineapple, cranberries, and cherries
- Pure maple syrup
- 4-Ingredient Strawberries and Cream Pancake Topping
- Healthy Sugared-Vanilla Yogurt Fruit Dip
- Organic or all-natural chocolate sauce (our 3-Ingredient Chocolate Lava Dip makes a great hot fudge sauce)
- Shredded coconut
- Sliced or slivered almonds, chopped pecans or walnuts, or crushed peanuts
- Sunflower seeds
- Chia seeds
- Mini chocolate chips
- Prepare waffle batter according to recipe directions (our directions for Mom’s Best Whole Wheat Waffles are here), and cook waffles according to the directions for your waffle iron. (See note.)
- Set out a selection of spreads, toppings, drizzles, and sprinkles.
- Serve waffles, allowing everyone to top their waffles however they choose.