~ Delicious, comforting, All-American apple pie … in a healthy, satisfying breakfast! This quick and easy oatmeal recipe is loaded with great nutrition and always a kid-pleaser, too! It’s a fall family favorite that’s absolutely perfect for busy weekdays, or for leisurely weekends, and for anytime you’re entertaining overnight guests! ~
Let’s play a little game. (OhComeOn … Don’t worry – it’s easy!)
Ready? Ok …
What’s the first word you think of when we say “Thanksgiving”?
You probably went in the direction of turkey, family, thankfulness, or feast … right? We can’t blame you – that’s kinda what we were both thinking, too!
So, ok. Let’s try one more time!
What’s the first word you think of when we say “Thanksgiving dessert“?
(Please say pie … please say pie … please say pie …)
We’re just gonna pretend you said pie. ‘Cause you did, didn’t you?!? (Just go with it and say yes …)
Well, in the spirit of all things pie, last Thanksgiving we gave you 10-Minute Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal … the perfect way for pie lovers to have their pumpkin pie for breakfast! Brilliant!
And since you loved that one so much, we thought this year we’d inspire you with another last-minute, crazy-fast, easy oatmeal “pie” recipe.
That way, you don’t have to stand in front of an open refrigerator and pilfer bits of leftover pie for breakfast before you head out to the Black Friday sales! Nope – you can fuel up with a stick-to-your-ribs breakfast that’ll power you through every last check-out line!
And if you’re having overnight guests this holiday season, this pie-inspired, easy oatmeal recipe will be a lifesaver! You can whip it up in just moments whenever the gang wakes up!
We’ve honestly been making this recipe for over a year (it’s not just for Thanksgiving!), and happily chowing it on both busy weekday mornings and lazy family weekends … but in the name of all things “pie” we just couldn’t wait any longer to share it with you!
Deliciously American apple pie … in a super-fast oatmeal!
Now you’ve got one more thing to be thankful for this year!
Happy Thanksgiving … from THK to you and yours!
Want More Quick, Easy Oatmeal Recipes and Great Make-Ahead Breakfasts for Overnight Guests? How about:
- 10-Minute Almond Joy Oatmeal
- 10-Minute Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal
- 10-Minute, No-Cook Overnight Oats with Apples, Cranberries and Cinnamon
- Farmers’ Market Overnight Breakfast Egg Casserole
- Top 10 Healthy Make-Ahead Breakfast Recipes
We’d Love to Hear From You!
We really value your feedback and love to answer your questions and hear how our recipes worked for you! Just head on down to the comment box located at the very bottom of this post. Email addresses are never published, and last names are optional. We can’t wait to hear from you!
And to make sure you don’t miss a single deliciously healthy moment … you can like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, and check out our awesome recipe boards on Pinterest. You can also be the first to know about our latest posts by simply entering your email in the box at the top right corner of our page!
- 1 ½ cups nonfat milk
- 1 ½ cups water
- 2 cups quick oats
- 2 medium Honeycrisp or Pink Lady apples (or other firm, sweet-tart apples), peeled and chopped (to equal about 2½ - 3 cups)
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ½ cup dried cranberries or raisins
- ½ chopped pecans
- 6 tablespoons brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- Bring the milk and water to a boil in a saucepan that's large enough to prevent boil-overs. (While your milk and water heat up, gather your other ingredients and have them ready, because the rest of the cooking goes very quickly.)
- Once the liquids boil, reduce the heat to low. Add the oats and then stir in all other ingredients. Continue cooking for 1-2 minutes as you’re adding the ingredients, until oats are done and oatmeal is thickened to your liking. (If you’re not quick about adding the ingredients, you can turn the stove off as you add the final items so that your oatmeal doesn’t get too thick, or you can add just a little more milk to thin the consistency to your liking.)