Posted by https://twohealthykitchens.com/surprisingly-decadent-brownies-healthy-whole-wheat-one-bowl-with-valentines-day-ideas/
© 2014 Two Healthy Kitchens. All rights reserved.
Surprisingly Decadent Brownies (Healthy, Whole Wheat & One Bowl!)
28-33 min. (plus cooling)
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1-2 teaspoons granulated sugar for topping
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, combine brown sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. Stir well with a whisk until ingredients are evenly combined and brown sugar is broken up.
- Add eggs, applesauce, oil and vanilla, stirring just to combine and being careful not to overmix.
- Pour batter into ungreased 8x8 pan.
- Bake for about 28-33 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean with just a few crumbs. (A perfectly clean toothpick will yield drier, more cake-like brownies.)
- Remove pan to a cooling rack and immediately sprinkle brownies with granulated sugar.
- Allow to cool before cutting.