Posted by https://twohealthykitchens.com/pistachio-white-chocolate-no-butter-butter-cookies/
© 2013 Two Healthy Kitchens. All rights reserved.
Pistachio-White Chocolate (No Butter!) Butter Cookies
6-7 min. (plus cooling)
- 2/3 cup roasted, shelled and salted pistachios (see note)
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/4 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/3 cup white chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries (optional)
- 1 - 1 1/2 tablespoons granulated white sugar (or colored sugar, if desired)
- Preheat oven to 350°. Prepare baking sheets by covering each with parchment paper.
- In a mini food processor, process pistachios and water until smooth (about 3 minutes), scraping sides of processor occasionally as needed. (The consistency will be similar to very wet sand but will be able to be formed with your scraper or hand into a thick, smooth paste like very, very thick natural peanut butter.)
- Transfer pistachio butter to a large mixing bowl and add brown sugar, egg and vanilla and beat on medium speed for about 3 minutes until very well incorporated, scraping bowl once or twice as needed.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt, stirring with a whisk to thoroughly combine.
- Add flour mixture to pistachio mixture and beat on medium-low just until combined, about 1 minute. Do not over-mix. (Dough will form clumps and will not be smooth.)
- Stir in white chocolate chips and cranberries (if using).
- Shape dough into 36 balls. (About a rounded ½ tablespoon of dough will form 1 - 1¼ inch balls).
- Roll each ball lightly in white (or colored) sugar. (Or, if you're in a hurry, just sprinkle some sugar on top after you've flattened the cookies in the next step.)
- Place on prepared baking sheets and flatten to about 1½ - 1¾ inches in diameter, using the bottom of a drinking glass. (If you're having trouble with the glass sticking to the cookies, you can place wax paper between the cookies and the glass as you press.)
- Bake for about 6-7 minutes, until only slightly golden, and then allow to cool on cookie sheets for 2-3 minutes before transferring to cooling racks to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container.
You can also use unsalted pistachios if that's what you have on hand. If so, then increase the salt in the recipe from ⅛ teaspoon to ¼ teaspoon.
These cookies can be made ahead. You can prepare the nut butter several days in advance, or completely make the dough a day early, and then wrap whatever you have and refrigerate until you're ready to continue. You can also shape the dough balls and roll them in sugar a day ahead, and then refrigerate those in a zipper bag until you're ready to bake. If your dough is cold, straight from the refrigerator, you may need to add 1 minute to your baking time. After baking, these can be frozen in an air-tight freezer bag.