Posted by https://twohealthykitchens.com/pbj-pinwheel-sandwich-kabobs/
© 2017 Two Healthy Kitchens. All rights reserved.
PB&J Pinwheel Sandwich Kabobs
- 1 Flatout flatbread (we like MultiGrain with Flax for this recipe)
- 2 - 2 1/2 tablespoons creamy natural peanut butter (or other nut butter or nut-free butter – see note)
- 1 - 1 1/2 tablespoons 100% pure fruit jelly
- fruit such as strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, blueberries, or grapes – rinsed and stemmed, if needed
- Place a Flatout flatbread on your work surface and spread it very thinly with peanut butter, and then with jelly. (The exact amount of each that you use is up to you, but avoid spreading it too thickly, or the pinwheels will be difficult to roll, cut, and thread onto skewers.)
- Beginning at one short side, roll the flatbread up. (Don't roll too tightly, or you'll force most of the peanut butter and jelly toward the outer edges.)
- Using a very sharp or serrated knife, cut the roll-up into 7, 1-inch pinwheels, being careful not to smash the roll-up as you cut. (If you prefer, you can roll the flatbread beginning at a long side, and then cut it into 10, 1-inch pinwheels. These pinwheels will be a little smaller, which can be nice for tiny kiddos.)
- Thread pinwheels onto two wooden skewers, alternating the pinwheels with fruit. If you would like, for safety, you can snap the sharp skewer points off when you're done threading.
- Wrap in plastic and refrigerate until serving (or use lunch box ice packs to keep cool).
Nut butters and allergy-friendly options: You can change up these sandwich skewers by using different nut butters, such as almond butter or cashew butter. Or, for a more allergy-friendly option for nut-free lunchrooms, try WowButter (a soy-based, nut-free product), or a sun butter (made from sunflower seeds).
Make-ahead tips: These are specifically designed to be made in the morning or the night before, then packed in a child's lunch. To keep them freshest, we recommend wrapping them closely in plastic wrap, so the flatbread stays soft and doesn't dry out.