Posted by https://twohealthykitchens.com/healthy-chicken-salad-with-grapes-apples-and-tarragon-yogurt-dressing/
© 2015 Two Healthy Kitchens. All rights reserved.
Healthy Chicken Salad with Grapes, Apples and Tarragon-Yogurt Dressing
- 2 cups diced, cooked, skinless chicken breasts (see note)
- 1 cup halved red grapes (or quartered if the grapes are large)
- 1 cup diced apple (we prefer crisp, sweet apples in this recipe)
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon smooth Dijon mustard
- For serving: spinach or other leafy greens and whole grain wraps or toasted bread for sandwiches; greens as a base for a salad plate; or whole grain crackers or endive spears for serving as an appetizer
- In a medium bowl, combine chicken, grapes, apples, pecans, and celery, stirring gently to combine.
- In a small bowl, whisk together Greek yogurt, cider vinegar, tarragon, sugar, kosher salt, and mustard.
- Pour yogurt dressing over chicken mixture and gently stir to combine evenly.
- Serve as desired – as a wrap, sandwich, salad plate or appetizer.
Chicken: As we mentioned in the post, nearly any boneless, skinless chicken breasts will work in this recipe, as long as they're not overly flavorful from spices or marinades. We recommend simply cooking a couple of extra chicken breasts whenever you're making chicken, so you have extra cooked chicken for this recipe without any extra work. A store-bought rotisserie chicken is another easy option, and the skinless breast meat from one rotisserie chicken should be approximately the right amount for this recipe.
To serve as an appetizer: If you're planning to serve this chicken salad as an appetizer (with crackers or endive spears), you may wish to chop the chicken, grapes, apples, pecans, and celery a little smaller than if you're serving this as a sandwich or salad plate, to create a more finger-food-sized presentation.
Make-ahead tips: You can prepare this salad a few hours or even a day ahead, and refrigerate until serving. Leftovers can be refrigerated for another day or two.