Posted by https://twohealthykitchens.com/grilled-zucchini-flatbread-goat-cheese-rosemary/
© 2016 Two Healthy Kitchens. All rights reserved.
Grilled Zucchini Flatbread with Goat Cheese and Rosemary
- 1 medium yellow squash (about 8 ounces), sliced into 1/4"-thick rounds (to yield about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 medium zucchini (about 8 ounces), sliced into 1/4"-thick rounds (to yield about 1 1/2 cups)
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced (about 1/4" thick, half-rounds) red onion (from about 1/2 a small onion)
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon finely crushed black pepper
- 2 Flatout flatbreads (we use Light Italian Herb)
- All-natural nonstick cooking spray or sprayed canola oil
- 1 1/2 ounces crumbled goat cheese (to yield a heaping 1/3 cup)
- 1/2 - 3/4 teaspoon good-quality balsamic vinegar or balsamic syrup, for drizzling, if desired
- Prepare and preheat grill.
- If any of your zucchini or yellow squash rounds are very large in diameter, you can cut those rounds in half to yield smaller semi-circles. In a medium bowl, combine yellow squash, zucchini, and onion with olive oil, 1 teaspoon rosemary, salt, and black pepper. Toss well until the mixture is thoroughly combined and the vegetables are evenly coated all over with oil and seasonings.
- Spread vegetable mixture in an even, single layer on a grill topper that's large enough that the vegetables don't have to overlap too much (ours is about 11" x 14").
- Grill vegetables over medium heat for about 15 minutes, stirring about every 5 minutes. You want the vegetables to develop areas of seared brown grill marks, without becoming too mushy or burned.
- Meanwhile, spray both sides of each flatbread lightly with nonstick spray. Grill over medium heat for 2 minutes on each side, until they develop lightly browned grill marks.
- Top grilled flatbreads with grilled vegetables, and sprinkle evenly with goat cheese and remaining ½ teaspoon rosemary. Lightly and evenly drizzle balsamic vinegar over top, if desired.
- Cut into wedges and serve immediately.
Zucchini and yellow squash: Although we love the colorful presentation from using both types of squash, you may certainly choose to use only zucchini, or only yellow squash.
Grilling: Remember that grills vary widely in temperature settings, so the settings and times you use may need to be adjusted according to your specific grill.