Posted by https://twohealthykitchens.com/frankenstein-kiwis-another-healthy-halloween-treat/
© 2014 Two Healthy Kitchens. All rights reserved.
Frankenstein Kiwis – (Another!) Healthy Halloween Treat
- Pretzel sticks (and thicker "dipping sticks" if desired)
- Mini chocolate chips or dried wild blueberries
- Slice one end off each kiwi, so the kiwi sits upright and flat.
- Beginning at the cut end of the kiwi, use a vegetable peeler to remove some of the kiwi's fuzzy skin. As you get toward the top third of the kiwi, pull the skin away in little jagged bits so that the skin remaining at the top of the kiwi will look like messy Frankenstein hair.
- For the mouth: Break a pretzel stick into a small piece (roughly about ½" to ¾" long), and gently push that piece lengthwise into your kiwi to make a mouth.
- For the bolts: Break another pretzel stick (or a thicker pretzel "dipping stick") so you have two end pieces that are each about ½" long. Shove those into your kiwi (broken end first), one low on each side of your kiwi, to form the bolts in your Frankenstein's neck.
- For the eyes: Use two chocolate chips or two dried wild blueberries for eyes, gently pushing each into position above the pretzel mouth.
Make ahead: These Franken-kiwis stay fresh-looking for several hours if kept in the fridge, all except for the pretzel components, which start to get just a little soggy after an hour or two. So, if you'd like to make these ahead of time (for a fruit tray, Halloween party platter, etc.), we recommend that you wait to add the mouth and bolts to your Frankensteins until closer to party time.