Posted by https://twohealthykitchens.com/easy-pepperoni-bread/
© 2015 Two Healthy Kitchens. All rights reserved.
- 1 pound whole wheat dough
- 4-5 ounces turkey pepperoni, quartered
- 2 cups shredded, reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon shredded parmesan cheese
- Optional for dipping: your favorite pizza sauce
- Allow dough to come to room temperature so it's relaxed and easy to work with.
- Preheat oven to 425°F (or the temperature that your brand of dough specifies).
- Divide dough equally in half. On a lightly floured surface, roll each half into a large rectangle (about 18 inches x 6 inches). The dough will relax into a slightly smaller size, which is fine.
- Lay both rectangles of dough on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Combine the pepperoni and mozzarella cheese in a medium bowl. Spread half of the pepperoni and cheese mixture down the center of each dough rectangle.
- Beginning at the end of one dough rectangle, pull the dough up and over the fillings. Pinch it together (the dough should be slightly sticky and will hold together). Continue folding the dough in and gently pinching to secure, working down the entire length of the dough. Repeat with the other dough rectangle.
- Once both rectangles have been pinched closed, turn them over so the "seams" are on the bottom, and the rectangles are closely side by side.
- Gently "braid" the two dough rectangles together, twisting them around each other, (over and then under) three times.
- Using a sharp knife, cut 2-3 inch slits along the top of the pizza bread, one slit on each braided section.
- Lightly beat the egg white and Italian seasoning in a small bowl. Using a pastry brush, lightly coat the entire top and sides of the dough with egg wash.
- Sprinkle the top of the dough with parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 17-20 minutes (or follow your specific dough's recommended bake time), until lightly browned.
- Remove from oven and cut into 1-2 inch slices. Serve with sauce for dipping, if desired.