Posted by https://twohealthykitchens.com/easy-healthy-applesauce-granola/
© 2013 Two Healthy Kitchens. All rights reserved.
Easy, Healthy Applesauce Granola
1 hour 10 minutes
- 3 1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup nuts and/or seeds (we used roasted sunflower kernels, chopped walnuts and sliced almonds)
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed meal
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup coconut
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries or other dried fruit of choice (optional)
- Preheat oven to 275° F.
- In a medium bowl, combine the oats with the mixed nuts and/or seeds and the ground flax.
- In a small, microwave-safe bowl, combine the applesauce, honey, canola oil, cinnamon and salt. Microwave on 100% power for 1 minute, stirring after 30 seconds, just so that it is warm and a little thinner.
- Pour warm applesauce mixture over oat mixture and stir to combine. Add coconut and stir again to mix through.
- Spread granola mixture on parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 1 hour, stirring every 10 - 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely. Stir in dried fruit, if desired.
- Store in an airtight container for several days.
The recipe calls for 3½ cups oats and ½ cup nuts and/or seeds. If you prefer more nuts for added crunch, simply make adjustments. Your total amount of oats and nuts/seeds should be 4 cups.