Posted by https://twohealthykitchens.com/easy-crock-pot-chicken-burrito-bowls/
© 2015 Two Healthy Kitchens. All rights reserved.
Easy Crock Pot Chicken Burrito Bowls
10 min. (plus chopping time, depending on optional toppings)
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 1.25-ounce packet low-sodium taco seasoning (see note)
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen corn kernels (from about two ears of corn if using fresh)
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained (preferably organic or reduced-sodium)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onions
- 1 16-ounce jar of your favorite salsa
- 1 10-ounce can diced tomatoes and green chilies with juice (such as Ro-Tel)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro
- Brown rice, cooked and hot, for serving
- For serving: your choice of optional toppings such as shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, shredded reduced-fat cheese, chopped avocados or guacamole, reduced-fat sour cream, chopped green onions, additional chopped fresh cilantro, and hot sauce
- Place chicken in the slow cooker. Sprinkle taco seasoning, corn, black beans, and onions over chicken. Pour salsa and canned tomatoes on top.
- Cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 6-8 hours.
- Just before serving, use two forks to shred the chicken. Add cilantro. Stir to combine ingredients.
- Serve over brown rice with optional toppings as desired.
Taco seasoning: We recommend avoiding taco seasoning mixes that contain MSG. Also, there are differences in the amounts of sodium (and other ingredients) in various brands, so it’s a good idea to read the nutrition information for the brands offered at your store.
To serve as an appetizer: To serve this as a hearty appetizer dip, simply omit the rice and serve alongside whole-grain tortilla chips.