Posted by https://twohealthykitchens.com/cool-and-creamy-5-minute-no-cook-blueberry-almond-oatmeal-with-make-ahead-overnight-oats-option-too/
© 2015 Two Healthy Kitchens. All rights reserved.
Cool and Creamy, 5-Minute, No-Cook Blueberry-Almond Oatmeal (With Make-Ahead, Overnight Oats Option, Too!)
- 1 cup nonfat vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup nonfat milk (see note for amount, if making Overnight Oats version)
- 2 - 2 1/2 tablespoons packed brown sugar (see note)
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup quick oats (see note regarding oats, if making Overnight Oats version)
- 1/3 cup sliced, unsalted, "raw" almonds
- 1/4 cup coconut (We use sweetened, flaked coconut which is typically moister than unsweetened or toasted.)
- 1 pint (about 2 cups) fresh blueberries
- In a medium bowl, combine yogurt, milk, brown sugar, almond extract, cinnamon, and salt, stirring with a whisk to combine thoroughly.
- Add oats, almonds, and coconut, stirring again to combine.
- Gently stir in blueberries.
- Allow oats mixture to sit for a minute or two before serving, if needed, to allow oats to soften and mixture to thicken.
- (See note below for modified directions, if making Overnight Oats version.)
Directions for Overnight Oats version: If you'd like to make this recipe ahead of time or the night before, increase the amount of milk to ⅔ cup. Also, be sure to use old fashioned, rolled oats instead of quick oats. Quick oats aren't hearty enough to withstand overnight refrigeration, and they'll be a bit too thick and gummy by morning. After mixing the ingredients together, cover your Overnight Oats and refrigerate several hours or overnight.
Brown sugar: Different brands of vanilla Greek yogurt vary significantly in the amount of sugar they contain and how sweet or tart they taste, which can cause variances in how much brown sugar you’ll want to add to this recipe. We recommend starting with 2 tablespoons of brown sugar, and adding an extra ½ tablespoon on sugar only if needed.