Posted by https://twohealthykitchens.com/asian-salmon-burgers-with-avocado-and-hoisin-sauce-gluten-free-option-too/
© 2015 Two Healthy Kitchens. All rights reserved.
Asian Salmon Burgers with Avocado and Hoisin Sauce (Gluten-Free Option, Too!)
15 min. (plus chilling time)
Salmon Burger Patties
- 1 pound boneless, skinless salmon filets, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves (gently packed)
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions (about 3 green onions)
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 avocado, divided
- 2 teaspoons minced peeled fresh ginger (about a 1-inch piece)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- Remaining 3/4 of avocado
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/16 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 whole-grain sandwich buns (for sandwiches) or large lettuce leaves (for gluten-free wraps)
- Desired toppings: leaves of tender lettuce (like butter or Bibb), sliced tomato, plus additional hoisin sauce
- Place salmon, cilantro, green onions, hoisin sauce, 2 tablespoons avocado, ginger, garlic, ¾ teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon black pepper in a food processor. Using pulsed on/off bursts, process just briefly, until the mixture is combined and the salmon is coarsely ground to the consistency of your liking (we recommend that it's still a bit chunky and that you're careful not to turn it into a paste).
- Shape salmon mixture into four ½-inch thick patties and place them on a plate.
- Cover and refrigerate a minimum of one hour, or overnight at most. (Also wrap and refrigerate remaining avocado.) This helps the delicate salmon patties to adhere together and makes them easier to work with and less likely to fall apart during cooking.
- Preheat a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add sesame oil, swirling to coat.
- Cook salmon patties in sesame oil, covered, for about 4 minutes on the first side. Gently flip the patties and cook about 3 minutes more, until salmon is cooked through but is not dried out and is still very tender and juicy.
- Meanwhile, as salmon cooks, mash remaining avocado with ⅛ teaspoon salt and 1/16 teaspoon black pepper.
- Serve salmon burgers immediately on whole grain buns, with mashed avocado mixture, tomato slices, lettuce, and additional hoisin sauce. For a gluten-free option, serve salmon patties on lettuce leaves, as a lettuce wrap (also be sure to purchase gluten-free hoisin sauce).