Posted by https://twohealthykitchens.com/apple-monsters-a-nut-free-healthy-halloween-treat/
© 2015 Two Healthy Kitchens. All rights reserved.
- 1 apple
- 1/3 cup, plus 2 teaspoons nut-free butter spread, divided (see note)
- Puffed rice cereal
- 4 red grapes, each sliced vertically in half
- 8 green grapes
- 16 chocolate chips
- Quarter and core the apple, then quarter each piece again, so you have 16 thin wedges.
- Spread 1 teaspoon nut-free butter on each apple slice.
- Lay half of the apple slices on top of the other halves, (matching up nut-free butter sides so the apple slices stick together) to create the "mouth."
- Push puffed rice "teeth" gently into the nut-free butter, all around the "mouth," leaving room to place a red grape "tongue" on the bottom slice of each "mouth."
- Place one red grape half in the center of each bottom slice to create the "tongue."
- To create the "eyes," slice the ends off the green grapes, then cut each grape in half horizontally. (If your grapes are exceptionally large, you may get more than two "eyes" out of each one.) Using the tip of the knife, make a small slit in the top of each grape half, then place a chocolate chip, pointy-end down, into the grape, pushing the point of the chocolate chip into the slit you cut.
- Place two small dollops of nut-free butter on the top portion of each "mouth," then gently press a grape "eye" onto each dollop.
- Enjoy immediately, or store in the refrigerator for an hour or two before serving.
Nut-free butter: We chose WowButter (a soy-based, nut-free product), but you could also substitute a peanut-free sun butter (made from sunflower seeds). Alternately, if nut allergies aren’t a concern, you can use regular peanut butter.