~ Amazingly simple and totally delicious pepperoni bread! The perfect appetizer for parties, or a fun twist on pizza night! A family favorite that takes hardly any time to make! ~
Let’s journey back in time, shall we?
Do you remember waaaaayyyyy far back to when I shared a recipe for Cheeseburger Salad with Oven-Roasted Fries? It was one of our first posts, nearly two years ago.
Hold up! Almost two years?? OMG. Shelley and I have been sharing recipes with you for almost two years?!?
They always say time flies when you’re having fun … and well, we’ve sure been doing that (and then some)!! But golly … two years!
But I digress. Sorry about that. Ah-hem.
So back to the Cheeseburger Salad (super yummy bytheway). You may remember that I mentioned that I used to be a Pampered Chef consultant.
It was a super fun way for me to interact with adults and I didn’t need to cut their food into teensy tiny pieces (bonus!). I had a blast cooking with groups of gals at the parties and sharing new recipes and tons of laughs!
One of things I loved (and still love!) about Pampered Chef is the recipes. Impressive-looking but easy-to-make is the name of the game.
And their Pepperoni Pizza Twist is no exception. In fact, when I saw a photo of their Pizza Twist in one of their cookbooks, I thought I’d never be able to make it. It seemed way to difficult.
It kinda reminded me of a jazzed up version of pepperoni bread.
Pepperoni bread is something that Italian grandmas make, right? It’s passed down from generation to generation.
I’m not Italian. I’m German and a little Irish. (I’m pretty sure pepperoni bread, pepperoni rolls and pizza twists don’t hail from those parts.)
Well lemme tell ya something. I finally decided to try it. And I’m so happy I did! It was the most beautiful thing I’d ever cooked up in that little kitchen of mine. I may have shed a tear. I almost didn’t want to cut into it. But we had to see how cheeeeeeesy and pepperoni-y it was.
Oh friends. It was lovely.
Of course, that original Pepperoni Pizza Twist has changed over the years – I even made it simpler! – and I’ve healthified it for my family (and for you, too)! It’s more of a traditional pepperoni bread now … in a fun twist form!
I’ve taken this fancy yet easy pepperoni roll to get-togethers as an appetizer. People scarf it down – it’s gone in a flash!
And, I often serve it for dinner (pairs great with a big salad full of veggies!). It always earns cheers from my fam … even my youngest who, at times, claims to not like pepperoni (I don’t know why).
I gave a little of this pepperoni bread to Shelley several months ago. She’s so sweet and actually shared her itty-bitty slice with her family. The next day, she politely told me it was too small of a slice.
Well ok then.
Whatever size slice I happen to have, I’ve eaten it fresh out of the oven, and fresh out of the fridge.
It’s delicious both ways. Just in case you were wondering.
Its simplicity makes it even more of a fave at my house. I’m not joking when I tell you that it’ll pretty much be ready to go into the oven before your oven is preheated.
The toughest part is separating the egg white to brush on the top with some Italian spices (sooooo not tough!). And don’t, don’t, don’t skip that part. It’s totally not the same. The egg white beautifully browns the top and gives it just a little crunch. You won’t want to miss it.
Fact is … you just really won’t want to miss any part of this. It’s simple, it’s delicious, it’s perfect!
Loving This Pepperoni Bread Recipe? Want More Pizza Flavors? Then You’ve Gotta Try …
- Cheesy Pepperoni Pizza Burgers from Two Healthy Kitchens
- Deep Dish Skillet Pizza from Emily at It Bakes Me Happy
- Mini Deep Dish Pizzas + Dessert! from Two Healthy Kitchens
- Pizza Soup in 15 Minutes from Christine at Cook the Story
- Easy Homemade Grilled Pizza from Two Healthy Kitchens
Get a Free Slow Cooker Ebook!
When you sign up to receive our newsletter, we’ll send you a free ebook, filled with easy, healthy slow cooker recipes from top bloggers across the country! Just enter your email in the box at the upper right corner of our page! And to make sure you don’t miss a single deliciously healthy moment … you can like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, and check out our awesome recipe boards on Pinterest!
We’d Love to Hear From You!
We really value your feedback and love to answer your questions and hear how our recipes worked for you! Just head on down to the comment box located at the very bottom of this post. Email addresses are never published, and last names are optional. We can’t wait to hear from you!
Easy Pepperoni Bread
- 1 pound whole wheat dough
- 4-5 ounces turkey pepperoni, quartered
- 2 cups shredded, reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon shredded parmesan cheese
- Optional for dipping: your favorite pizza sauce
- Allow dough to come to room temperature so it's relaxed and easy to work with.
- Preheat oven to 425°F (or the temperature that your brand of dough specifies).
- Divide dough equally in half. On a lightly floured surface, roll each half into a large rectangle (about 18 inches x 6 inches). The dough will relax into a slightly smaller size, which is fine.
- Lay both rectangles of dough on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Combine the pepperoni and mozzarella cheese in a medium bowl. Spread half of the pepperoni and cheese mixture down the center of each dough rectangle.
- Beginning at the end of one dough rectangle, pull the dough up and over the fillings. Pinch it together (the dough should be slightly sticky and will hold together). Continue folding the dough in and gently pinching to secure, working down the entire length of the dough. Repeat with the other dough rectangle.
- Once both rectangles have been pinched closed, turn them over so the "seams" are on the bottom, and the rectangles are closely side by side.
- Gently "braid" the two dough rectangles together, twisting them around each other, (over and then under) three times.
- Using a sharp knife, cut 2-3 inch slits along the top of the pizza bread, one slit on each braided section.
- Lightly beat the egg white and Italian seasoning in a small bowl. Using a pastry brush, lightly coat the entire top and sides of the dough with egg wash.
- Sprinkle the top of the dough with parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 17-20 minutes (or follow your specific dough's recommended bake time), until lightly browned.
- Remove from oven and cut into 1-2 inch slices. Serve with sauce for dipping, if desired.
by Two Healthy Kitchens
This recipe is loosely inspired by Pampered Chef’s Pepperoni Pizza Twist recipe, which was featured in their recipe booklet, Season’s Best (fall/winter 2002).
Our Easy Pepperoni Bread recipe has been mentioned or featured in: 20 Appetizer Ideas for March Madness at Cupcake Diaries