This Recipe Is: • Ready in 30 Minutes or Less • Make Ahead • Vegan (and Vegetarian) • Gluten Free •
This super-fast dip is a delicious identity crisis. Traditional hummus meets a crazy Mexican party (there might even be a Mariachi band … you just never can tell!).
It’s creamy and satisfying, yet kicky and fun … an all-around crowd pleaser! (Oh … and loaded with healthy goodies, too!)
And you know what it got me thinking? Football food!
That’s what we need right now … dips and snackies for the Super Bowl! This dip is spot-on perfect for touchdown-cheering, fumble-booing, I-just-wanna-watch-the-cool-Super-Bowl-commercials … football action!
You can whip it up in a flash. (But come, on … you knew that, right?!? This is THK, after all! Of course it’s quick and easy!)
Really – if the halftime show’s no good this year, you can hop right up and make this quick-quick before the third quarter! (Although, with Bruno Mars and the Red Hot Chili Peppers – we should be golden, right? So, you may want to make a double batch before the game …)
And then you know what you wanna do? Tuck this recipe away for Cinco de Mayo … and for summer parties … and for late-night noshes …. and …
Yeah, you’re going to want to do that.
And seriously, it really is great summer chow, too.
I actually concocted this waaaaaay back last summer, on a gorgeously hot and sunny day. My parents had the kiddos and my Romeo and I had the day to ourselves. We ditched any notion of doing responsible things like launching major home projects or cleaning out the garage … and we chilled. Just chilled.
But, for proper chillin’ with your guy, you (of course!) need good munchies … and so this hummus was born. (And … I guess we were really hungry, because that’s the exact same day I created Italian Cannellini Hummus with Basil and Sun-Dried Tomatoes!)
Hmmmmm … no wonder this hummus has such an identity crisis! It’s perfect for practically any occasion – just as comfy at a Super Bowl party as it is at a summer beach party.
Let us know if the Mariachi band appears, too!
We’d Love to Hear From You!
You know what today’s question has to be, right?!?! Broncos or Seahawks? Not to make any enemies, but we’ll tell you our picks: Although I do truly love the city of Seattle, I’ve gotta go Broncos and root for Peyton Manning! Gretchen’s cheering for Peyton, too! Gooooooooo, Broncos!
To get more healthy, delicious recipe ideas, be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter and Pinterest. Plus, be the first to get our newest recipes by simply entering your e-mail in the box at the top right corner of our page!
Looking for More Great Super Bowl Snacks? Check Out:
- Rainbow Pepper Salsa
- Edamame Hummus
- Peanut Butter Silk Pie Dip with Greek Yogurt (Just 4 Ingredients and 5 Minutes!)
- Corn, Edamame and Quinoa Salad with Lemon-Dijon Vinaigrette (Great as a Dip!)
- Top 10 Healthy Hot Appetizer Dips
Mexican Fiesta Black Bean Hummus
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained (see note)
- 1/3 cup loosely packed cilantro
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons hot sauce (such as Frank's Red Hot)
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 16 grape or cherry tomatoes, roughly quartered
- Minced cilantro and a few diced tomatoes, for garnish
- Veggies such as baby carrots and pepper strips, or baked tortilla or pita chips – for serving, if desired
- Place all ingredients except tomatoes in a mini food processor and process until smooth (or desired consistency), scraping down the sides as needed.
- Add tomatoes and pulse processor just enough to incorporate tomatoes and chop them slightly.
- Garnish with additional cilantro and tomatoes, and serve immediately (with veggies or chips), or refrigerate until serving.
by Two Healthy Kitchens
In our stores, we find black beans sold in both 15-ounce and 15.5-ounce cans. Either will work just fine.
This can easily be made a day or two ahead. Simply store finished hummus in the refrigerator until serving.
When this hummus is just finished processing, it will be a lighter color than what you see in our photos. It tends to darken a bit upon standing.
Our Mexican Fiesta Black Bean Hummus recipe has been mentioned or featured in:
13 Mexican Food Recipes for Cinco de Mayo at Jenny at Dapperhouse
Over 30 Delicious Cinco de Mayo Recipes at This Gal Cooks
100 Best Cinco de Mayo Recipes at BasilMomma
30 Black Bean Recipes at Trippin’ with Tara
25 Healthy Snacks at Creating&Co
110 Recipes For A Winning Super Bowl Party and 100 Tips For The Ultimate New Year’s Eve Party at Drugstore Divas
Light & Delicious New Year’s Eve Snacks at Life with Captain Fussybuckets
60+ Best Appetizers Recipes at The Gracious Wife